Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evildoers,
from the snares they have laid for me. Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
while I pass by in safety.
(Psalm 141:8-10)

Many times, as a believer, we feel as though we must say "yes" to every request. We believe we must answer every call and serve on every committee. After all, if I don't do it it will not get done . . . right? WRONG!

An old mentor of mine used to work like crazy around the church. This was a good thing, don't get me wrong. However, if he did everything, there was nothing left for anyone else to do! We used to say to him, "You are taking away my blessing!"

We have to learn to respectfully say, "No". We can so caught up I doing things, that we neglect our families, our health, and our time with the Lord. Oh for sure, we are busy for the Lord and the church. Yet how impactful are we if we are falling apart health-wise? How powerful is our witness if our family is being hurt? How strong is our relationship with God if we do not spend quality time in His presence daily?

Life is about priorities, not popularity. It is about quality, not quantity. I have learned to say "No" more often lately. It may not be the popular answer, but it is the right answer. Pastor Andy Stanley (Choosing to Cheat,Doubleday Religious Publishing GroupDec 1, 2003) once said we have to learn to cheat in life. If we place too much emphasis on the wrong things, we are cheating the best things in life.

I am finally getting it right . . . God, family, and  . . .???? Do not cheat God or family!!!!

No comments:

unity throughout . . . imagine the impact

 Let's face it, God wants us to be one . Jesus was clear in His High-Priest prayer before going to His death:  “I do not pray for these ...