Thursday, October 7, 2021

How did I ever make it?

How did I ever make it? I often think of that as I grow older each year. My parents did not have a lot, but we had enough. While I did not go on summer vacations, never sat in a "new" car, and don't even remember special dinners (except for ordering a pizza now and then or making subs from items purchased at the local deli), I made it. I did not know that I did not have it all! I had enough with, G.I. Joe's, Saturday cartoons on our black and white TV, Baseball on the transistor radio, a basketball and a hoop in the backyard, a baseball glove, bat, football and friends, and two parents and a brother. 

My parents did their best to make sure we had enough to eat, transportations to school (a private church school too!), and a place to sleep. My room was small, but I had my own room! My parents were at every game until I started traveling with high school and college teams. My dad would spend hours making repairs to his cars on his own and my mom worked extra jobs to keep us in school and in sports. 

When I think of today's kids and lifestyles of families, I wonder: How did I ever make it?


I did not know it then but I know now . . . it was God! God had a plan for me and He brought me through. He provided our daily bread, year after year, month after month, day after day, even though I never really knew Him personally until my thirties. Even today, I find myself in awe of God . . . He still provides . . . health, strength, comfort, and yes, even cars and money!

Take these words to heart, do not just say them out of habit: 

    Give us this day our daily bread . . . (Matthew 6:11

Think on these words. Does He not still provide . . . every day?



No comments:

Why so much education????

Is education so important?  Why so much anyway? Read on . . . “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at ...