Monday, September 13, 2021

God is . . . (Part I)

This week I am focusing upon who God is, coinciding with our school's Spiritual Emphasis Week. I hope you will read along with me as we discover/rediscover just WHO God is . . . .

 

God is . . . .

A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows, Is God in His holy habitation. (Psalm 68:5)

 

In a world where fathers have received a bad rap . . . and in many cases it is justified, we can still cherish the name FATHER, especially when it comes to God our Father! Even though men have failed us all in one way or another, God remains faithful. Whether a father is absent, unknown, in and out, abusive or maybe, just maybe, a wonderful dad, none compare to God . . . our Father!


If you are like me, while my dad was always present in the home physically, many times it was like a war zone. There was uncontrolled anger, bitter words, abusive actions. I learned that sports was my escape! Though he coached all the sports and was at all the games throughout college, he was never satisfied. To this day, as a sixty-one year old man . . . husband, father and grandfather . . . there is a longing to hear, "I love you son; well done".

Yet once Jesus found me and changed my heart's desires for life, I found the dad I always wanted! God the Holy Spirit filled the hole in my heart. He affirms me. He comforts me. He disciplines me. He guides me. He loves me . . . despite all my failures, successes, and all that in between!

You see, God is LOVE.  (1 John 4:8) Until I discovered that, I could never have known the love of a father! My dad comes from a generation of fathers who did not know how to express love. It was assumed, not shown. However, I have learned to accept that because I know my Father's love surpasses anything this world can give!

May you experience that love today . . . God is my Father!

 

No comments:

We all are held accountable for all we do . . .

Even a child is known by his deeds, whether what he does is pure and right. The hearing ear and the seeing eye, the Lord has made them both....