Wednesday, November 11, 2020

So accountable . . . be like us or like us?

 

Jesus also gave them another example. He asked, “Can a blind person lead another blind person? Won’t they both fall into a pit? The student is not better than the teacher. But everyone who is completely trained will be like their teacher. (Luke 6:39-40)

Jesus is sharing with His disciples here in Luke 6 what is required for His followers. He is challenging them to be different than the rest . . . Similar to Matthew's writings (Matthew 5-6), Luke's are thought to be his recordings of Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount" or His later comments after coming down from the mountain. Either way, Jesus is letting His followers know the characteristics of the believer.

The words from Luke 6:39-40 remind me as a parent/teacher/coach/mentor that I am so accountable for the students under me. I must study and research first before teaching. I must also practice what I preach! However, before studying or teaching, I must have a heart for the kids! The old saying is true, people (kids) don't care how much you know until the know how much you care!


May I add that today's young people also want to see that you live out what you teach! They want to see that your walk adds up to your talk. It is a blessing for a parent to hear that their child has grown up to be just like them. Imagine the joy when a teacher hears that a student reminds them of the teacher . . . in character, speech, and heart! They may not have liked us much when we coached or taught them, but they now practice what they learned! They have become like us.

Are we modeling Christ-like character for our youth? Do our actions back up our words? Do we want our kids to be like us or just like us? There is a difference!

No comments:

It may not come when you want it . . .

Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress.  Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I ...