Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Keeping Score?

I used to love to keep score at the Oriole games when I went as a teenager. I would sit out in the bleachers on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, often by myself, and watch intently, tracking every pitch and every player. Even as a player, whether it was basketball, football, or baseball, I would keep personal stats. It was all about the numbers and the awards . . . winning was everything . . . I had to be the best like my heroes were the best. 

Yet since becoming a Christian a Christ-follower, I have seen the good and bad of such intensity. While God indeed wants me to strive for excellence, I must understand that He does not keep score like I do! It is not about the numbers or the trophies, but the effort. It is not about me winning, but God winning. It is not about what I collect, but rather what I give away!


"I tell you the truth, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven!" . . . The disciples were greatly astonished when they heard this and said, "Then who can be saved?" . . . 


Peter then asks a very normal question that you and I have probably mumbled under our breath at times . . .


"Look we have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?" . . . 


Jesus then responds with comforting words . . .


And whoever has left houses, or brothers or sisters, or father or mother, or children, or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last and the last first.


I don't know about you, but I need this encouragement now and then. How are you keeping score today? Is it how God keeps records? Have we found ourselves comparing ourselves to the world's standards? Let's take a step back and evaluate how we are doing and why we are doing things. Allow God to be the one who gives the rewards!


No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...