Wednesday, October 22, 2008

10 22 08 Fellow Prisoners
“I am a prisoner because of the Lord. So I am asking you to live a life worthy of what God chose you for. Don't be proud at all. Be completely gentle. Be patient. Put up with one another in love. The Holy Spirit makes you one in every way. So try your best to remain as one. Let peace keep you together. There is one body. There is one Spirit. You were appointed to one hope when you were chosen. There is one Lord. There is one faith and one baptism.” (Ephesians 4:1-5 NIrV)

Being a committed believer requires commitment…oneness…loyalty…allegiance. Paul speaks of being a prisoner, in bonds or restraints because of Christ. He then calls us, as FELLOW PRISONERS, to be humble and gentle to one another, especially to those in God’s family, so as to be one. The Holy Spirit unites us and keeps us united…if we allow His control and restraint to rule within us.
Oneness within the family reflects the head of the family. Christ is our Head, and as we live in harmony, we give testimony to our great God and Father. As one Body, one Spirit, and one faith, we present a clear message to a world which obviously desires some sort of clear answer to the questions we are facing in such a tumultuous world. If we who claim to know the Truth are unsure of whose we are and how we should be living, what does that say for Christ?

Oneness shows a bond. It reveals the depth of our faith and trust. It puts reality on our faith. It gives evidence of our faith and of the real presence of God. Listen to what Jesus prayed for you and me just before He allowed Himself to be sacrificed on our behalf:

“Father, I pray that all of them will be one, just as you are in me and I am in you. I want them also to be in us. Then the world will believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory you gave me. I did this so they would be one, just as we are one. I will be in them, just as you are in me. I want them to be brought together perfectly as one. This will let the world know that you sent me. It will also show the world that you have loved those you gave me, just as you have loved me.” (John 17:21-23 NIrV)

If one of the last things on the mind and lips of Jesus before giving Himself up to be killed was oneness among believers, why do we accept such disorder and confusion…within our family? All of us need to first know Who we call our Lord and Savior. We then need to devote time to learn His ways and commit to following those guidelines. We also need to commit to teach the Truth and nothing but the Truth! There can be no compromise tolerated!

FELLOW PRISONERS: Workplace…politics…social clubs…country clubs…friends…family…our love and commitments to Christ must make all other relationships look like dung. That’s the best way I can put it. Our oneness with our Savior must supersede all other relationships and activity!

No comments:

Why so much education????

Is education so important?  Why so much anyway? Read on . . . “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at ...