Tuesday, October 21, 2008

10 20 08 Obvious Praise

“Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for his name alone is exalted;
his majesty extends over the earth and sky.”
(Psalm 148:13 NET)


After a brief time away in the mountains with my wife, I have come to realize this: God is awesome! Observing His splendor in the formation of the Blue Ridge Mountain Ranges; the beautiful bowl-shaped valleys cupped out by His hand; the changing of the leaves from green to oranges, yellows and reds; the sun peaking over the distant peaks, and the simple way the deer wander without care. Who am I anyway? Just sitting on the porch deck, amidst the beauty that was before me, caused me to burst forth with OBVIOUS PRAISE!

Chuck Swindoll warns us: “We are to be wholly, continually, and completely dependent on the mercy of God, if we want to do the Lord's work the Lord's way. Paul had to learn that. My question is: Are you learning that? If not, today would be a good day to start. Now is the time to humble yourself under His mighty hand. If you don't, eventually He will do it for you. And it will hurt.” (Great Days with the Great Lives, Nashville, TN, W Publishing Group, 2005, Copyright © 2005 by Charles R. Swindoll, Inc.)


As if I hadn’t realized this before, a weekend in the mountains was a beautiful reminder to me to continue to trust God for His supply. In the simplicity of mountain life in the fall, God is always on the throne and all of Creation bows at His authority. Nothing occurs without His action; nothing changes without His approval; not even the changing of the leaves! The best decision I can possibly make today and for my future is to commit to humble myself under His authority and to bow at His throne in submission.

I pledge to be careful to keep focused on His authority, His power, and His splendor. Of course, He deserves my praise on Sunday. Of course He deserves my praise and thanksgiving during personal devotions and public worship services. But my DADDY also deserves OBVIOUS PRAISE for the simple everyday things I see and the basic things He provides each and every day. My prayer is that I will never allow the mountains, the sunrise, the animals, or even the rocks to out-praise me!

“He answered, ‘I tell you, if they keep silent, the very stones will cry out!’” (Luke 19:40 NET)

No comments:

Why so much education????

Is education so important?  Why so much anyway? Read on . . . “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at ...