Tuesday, July 8, 2008

07 08 08 I WANT TO DO GOOD…

“I don't understand what I do. I don't do what I want to do. Instead, I do what I hate to do. I do what I don't want to do. So I agree that the law is good. As it is, I am no longer the one who does these things. It is sin living in me that does them.”

Even after Paul’s conversion, he struggled with sin. He stated that the law reveals our sinful nature and keeps us aware of the pull sin has even upon the saved souls. Oh yes, sin is still alive and tearing at our heart. The evil one wants to destroy our testimony if he can’t destroy us!

“I know there is nothing good in my sinful nature. I want to do what is good, but I can't. I don't do the good things I want to do. I keep on doing the evil things I don't want to do. I do what I don't want to do. But I am not really the one who is doing it. It is sin living in me.”

Paul acknowledges he wants to do good, but the sin nature wants to do evil. The sin nature is never destroyed as we live. It must be put in check. We must realize its power and do something about it. We need a battle plan.

“Here is the law I find working in me. When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. Deep inside me I find joy in God's law. But I see another law working in the parts of my body. It fights against the law of my mind. It makes me a prisoner of the law of sin. That law controls the parts of my body.”

Oh yes, there is a war going on within our bodies, within our soul. There is real spiritual warfare taking place. I WANT TO GO GOOD…to honor God with my life, yet Satan is still doing his best to cause me to disgrace God and embarrass myself. I can actually feel the battle going on at times, it is so real! It must have really been a war for such a soldier as Paul.

“What a terrible failure I am! Who will save me from this sin that brings death to my body? I give thanks to God. He will do it through Jesus Christ our Lord. So in my mind I am a slave to God's law. But in my sinful nature I am a slave to the law of sin.” (Romans 7:15-25 NIrV)

So how can I ever find any joy in this battle? Will I ever see the victory? I wanna’ do right; I really do! I want to please God and do the right things by my wife and family. I want to honor all my commitments and help everyone I see in need. I WANT TO DO GOOD…

The good news is that I can, but only through the Holy Spirit that resides within me, battling the sinful nature and desires. I can do all things (according to God’s will) through Christ who strengthens me! While I continue to struggle, I know victory is on the horizon! The battle is not mine, it’s the Lord’s!

No comments:

The verdict is in . . . .

Ever been in a courtroom setting where everyone is anxiously awaiting the decision of the judge and jury? Lives are at stake. The future of ...