Friday, September 28, 2007

09 28-07 Count the Costs

“Then he said to them all, ‘If anyone wants to become my follower, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.’”
(Luke 9:23)



If I ask how many people are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, no doubt many, if not most of you reading this would respond with a resounding “I am!” If I asked how many followers would gladly give the 10% tithe, many still would probably respond with an “I do!” So far so good…... Now for the hard questions: Would you give you next week’s lunch money to the visiting missionary? Would you support a needy family at Christmas and sacrifice the new video game system? Would you give up weekly night out with friends for time with family? Would you consider a week-long mission trip in place of a week at the beach? Would you sacrifice a promising and comfortable secular career for a life in the mission field or in other full-time ministry for God’s people?

What is it worth to you and me to follow Christ; really follow Christ? A week’s worth of lunches ($50.00); a video game system for the family ($300.00); a week’s vacation at the beach ($1,500.00); hearing, “Well done, good and faithful servant, great is your reward” (PRICELESS…ENDLESS…ETERNAL)! Are we able to count the costs? Do we even realize the price Christ paid for our sin debt? Can we even calculate the number? Do we have a calculator big enough (you guys who took calculus, trigonometry, and those other outrageous classes!). Why do we take our salvation so casually then? Why won’t we give freely of ourselves and our resources? Who are we to hoard what isn’t even ours to begin with?

Count the costs! Keep what we have. Give away only what we can afford. Even save a little for a rainy day. The needy will be taken care of. There are enough government programs to feed the poor, care for children and shelter the homeless. Give the minimum and never go beyond what we can figure out. Does that sound like the Christian Jesus was calling? Is this why He suffered so viscously at the hands of the soldiers? Is this why he was beaten, bloodied and drug through the streets to the cross at Calvary?


..…. he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me…… Are we following a financial plan or following the Savior?

…… whoever loses his life for my sake will save it……are we following our dreams, or God’s plans for our lives?

Count the costs and ask, “Is it worth it, for the Savior’s sake, the way I am living today?” I won’t kid anyone anymore. It’s terribly expensive to be a follower of Jesus Christ. It cost Jesus His life on the cross and it costs me my selfish dreams and desires. My life is not my own anymore, but I am tying to live out my days for Christ’s desires through me. At times it hurts. At times it brings me to tears. But it’s a cost I am willing to pay. It’s worth the price. Because the SON will soon rise and a new DAY is coming!

No comments:

The verdict is in . . . .

Ever been in a courtroom setting where everyone is anxiously awaiting the decision of the judge and jury? Lives are at stake. The future of ...