Monday, March 20, 2023

Two mites . . . all she had.

How much is enough? This is often asked today of those who even go to church. Do I just give 10%? Does giving my time and talents count as well as my money? I don't know about you, but we all could take a lesson from the woman in the lesson below.

 Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood. (Mark 12: 41-44)

Two mites was about the lowest value of money ever created in HIStory! It was given to the poor daily for bread. It would have also bought two or three grapes! Yet this women gave it as her offering to God. It was all she had that day!

Not just at Lent, but always, I believe God is asking for more than money. Yes, we need to give to sustain the work of the church . . . outreach, building expenses, salaries, missions support and more. Yet we also must give of ourselves. Since when does God get the minimum anyway?

I have come to believe that until we have given it all, as Jesus did for me, then we still have more to give!

No comments:

Why so much education????

Is education so important?  Why so much anyway? Read on . . . “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at ...