Monday, August 23, 2021

Love myself?

 How can I love my neighbor if I cannot love myself? Many times we are harder on ourselves than we are even with strangers. We will gladly help others when we see a need. We will offer a cheerful word for someone who is feeling a bit down. We will even forgive a person who wrongs us. However, if you are like me, you find it hard to forgive yourself, encourage yourself, or even do the things you need to do for your own good . . . . get proper rest and exercise for instance!

Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-30)



While loving others may not be very convenient, loving ourselves may even bring about guilt! We do not want to be selfish and put ourselves first. I am not saying that. What I am saying is that we are no good to anyone if we are unhealthy mentally, physically or spiritually!

Indeed we need to be unselfish as we focus our lives upon serving God and others. Nevertheless, we must also be able to serve! AVAIL-ability is the greatest ability God has given to all of us. 

Take care of yourself so you can care for others!

No comments:

Why so much education????

Is education so important?  Why so much anyway? Read on . . . “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at ...