Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Never stop learning . . .even from our young people!

So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously. And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them. Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. (Luke 2:45-52)



One thing I have learned myself while teaching during this pandemic is that our kids have a lot to say! Yes they complain about work. They moan about lack of sleep. They remind us how bored they are but also how fearful they are as well! Yet as they open up about their struggles, I have also learned so much from them and about me!

Like with Jesus and the elders in Luke 2, I am astonished at the students' questions but also their understanding! Again, I have learned so much from them! In my bible lessons, but even more from our general discussions on life, I have come to realize their struggles are real and their frustrations are genuine. They face way too many pressures that we never faced as youth. A lot of it comes from the world we are in with all the political and social turmoil, but much of it comes from us as well. Teaching today requires a lot more listening that speaking, and sometimes more caring than grading. As never before, it rings true that kids only care how much we know when they know how much we care!

Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Do not neglect the gift that is in you . . . (1 Timothy 4:12-14)

Whether in the classroom or in after school ministry, even when counseling the now young adults who have been through our youth programs, I have come to realize the many gifts they possess from God and the need to bring these gifts out. They need to know they are valued. We need our young people and they need us. We all need to keep learning . . . keep growing in favor with God and man!

No comments:

Why so much education????

Is education so important?  Why so much anyway? Read on . . . “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at ...