Friday, April 9, 2021

Don't worry about everyone else . . .Follow Jesus!

Jesus spoke to him a third time. He asked, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt bad because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He answered, “Lord, you know all things. You know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. What I’m about to tell you is true. When you were younger, you dressed yourself. You went wherever you wanted to go. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands. Someone else will dress you. Someone else will lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to point out how Peter would die. His death would bring glory to God. Then Jesus said to him, “Follow me!” Peter turned around. He saw that the disciple Jesus loved was following them. He was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper. He had said, “Lord, who is going to hand you over to your enemies?” When Peter saw that disciple, he asked, “Lord, what will happen to him?” Jesus answered, “Suppose I want him to remain alive until I return. What does that matter to you? You must follow me. (John 21:-17-22)

I needed this reminder! Can I be real for a minute? 


Often, I am burdened by what others are doing or what I could be doing.  I know the gifts I have and at times I compare myself to others . . . and in all honesty, believe I could be doing a better job! Have you ever felt that way?

I could coach better that that guy. I was better than that when I played . . . how did he get to be a pro?  Why won't they pick me for that position? I am more qualified and experienced. What would it be like to be him? How in the world did he or she get that job?

Then, like Peter, the Lord reminds me that what He has for me is for me! (Proverbs 16:9) While I may think another position, another career, or even another life would be so much better for me here and now, God knows much better what is best for me! I must follow Him and His plan, not someone else's.

Slowly but surely, I am learning this. It's about time, don't you think? I guess by the time He calls me home I will fully understand! 

No comments:

Why so much education????

Is education so important?  Why so much anyway? Read on . . . “I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at ...