Thursday, December 8, 2011

Counting the Costs

As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
He said to another man, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
(Luke 9:57-62)

Many have plans in life, but not many carry them through . . . . WHY?

We haven't counted the costs involved in the process of reaching our goals. It's not that the goals are too lofty or that we do not have the abilities, we are simply overwhelmed by the effort, the time, or the costs.

Anything worthwhile takes sacrifice: raising a family, gaining a degree, and yes . . . following the Lord! Here is another challenging word from Jesus in Luke's Gospel:

If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
(Luke 14:26-27)

Our commitment . . . our determination to follow Christ . . . our love for the Savior must outweigh every other thought or emotion we have! This has always been my goal, but not always fun for me or understood by others.

We love our family and friends, but when it comes to Christ, they come in second. Are we willing to pay that price? Will we carry the cross . . . the burdens of being a Christ-follower?

Countng the costs can be challenging but there are rewards!

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...