Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Psalm 51

If Not For His Mercy

“Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your loving kindness; according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions.” (Psalm 51:1)

After David has been confronted by the prophet Nathan concerning his sin of adultery with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11-12), David realizes his condition and pleads for the mercy of Almighty God! What else could he do? He was guilty and deserved death for what he had done! At times, all we can do is humble ourselves before God and those we offend and ask for mercy.

David addresses God as Elohim, showing his unworthiness to even speak the covenant name of Jehovah God (Yahweh/YHWH). Picture David; fearful even for his life before the God of the universe, bowing, pleading, prostrate before Him. Is that not how we should be every morning…every evening? Have we lost sight of Who God is? I know that after all the Lord has allowed me to do…all the places He has seen me visit…after all the dirt I have done …I owe Him the respect to fall on my face, plead for His mercy, and thank Him for not only saving my soul, but sparing my physical life as well!

David knew, as we do, that God promises to wipe away our sin as far as the east is from the west, and remember them no more as we ask for His forgiveness. Our sin sacrifice has been paid by His Son Jesus, however. We need not kill an animal and make an offering as the Old Testament believers once did. We are to be a living sacrifice for the Lord, for all to see His glory! We do not have to plead for the Lord to restore His Spirit within us, we experience His presence in the indwelling Holy Spirit, received at the moment we accepted Christ as Lord and Savior.

Has it become too easy for us? Do we not feel the urgency to receive His new mercies every day? Let’s not take it for granted. If not for His mercy, where would you be…where would I be? I shudder to think….

No comments:

The verdict is in . . . .

Ever been in a courtroom setting where everyone is anxiously awaiting the decision of the judge and jury? Lives are at stake. The future of ...