Thursday, August 16, 2018

Tied to Culture over Christ?

“Now therefore, fear the Lord, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord15 And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lordchoose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”(Joshua 24:14-15)

Joshua challenged his people, God's people to decide just Whom they would follow. Their ancestors had served false gods and un-Godly customs and traditions . . . and God dealt with them for it!  Much of it I'm sure was thought to be harmless; just cutural tradition. Yet God called them out!

Many Christ-followers today are afraid to break ties with cultural, ethnic, political, or family tradition at the risk of making enemies or losing relationships. Today, as in Joshua's day, it is time we make a hard decision.

What, Whom, and why are we following? Are we tied to culture over Christ? Does Scripture or society rule us? Are we moved by politicians or the Prince of Peace?

As a white middle-aged male, I am at times misjudged for this political party or another. Yes, I am pre-judged a lot. I expect it as a matter of fact based upon this world today. I experience it daily dealing with young people and the things they have be taught. Yet as a CHRIST- follower, though I am registered to a party to be able to vote in primaries, I vote character and not political party. I do not vote color or gender.  I honor and pray for the office, not always the man or woman in the office. I am  careful not to call out people because I too could be embarrassed publically because of my sin. (Romans 3:23) It's only His grace that I am where I am today. (Romans 6:23) I am challenged to be the best I can be as an example to those around me. I seek to be a change agent, one people can come to trust based upon my heart and my life, not what I look like. As a result, I have lost, gained, and lost again.

That being said, if we are really going to be the Church, the people of God, then we must NOT be the white church, black church, Protestant church, Baptist church, Methodist church or and other "church". We MUST be the Body of Christ! ONE Lord, ONE faith, ONE baptism, ONE Father of us all! We MUST actively and openly discuss issues! But can we do that and risk losing tradition, friends, family . . . . .? Please take Paul's words to heart!

 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism;  one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in [c]you all. (Ephesians 4:1-6)


No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...