Monday, January 21, 2013

FAITH in God, not a System . . . from Paul through Dr. King

I have a duty both to Greeks and to non-Greeks. I have a duty both to wise people and to foolish people. So I really want to preach the good news also to you who live in Rome. I am not ashamed of the good news. It is God’s power. And it will save everyone who believes. It is meant first for the Jews. It is meant also for those who aren’t Jews. The good news shows how God makes people right with himself. From beginning to end, becoming right with God depends on a person’s faith. It is written, “Those who are right with God will live by faith.” (Habakkuk 2:4)(Romans 1:14-17)
Paul speaks of a faith in the Word of God that is available to all people. Dr. King spoke as well of "this faith" when "the glory of the Lord shall be revelaed". Faith in God overcomes many things. One thing it must overcome is racism and injustice. If we are to truly be one, we must live by faith, not by party lines, ethnic boundaries, or family traditions. The Body of Christ must live by faith in the Savior who died for all of us to be FREE! I too dream of a day when at least the Body of Christ can be one! A Body where "brother and sister" refers to our faith and "we" and "us" refers to Christ-followers and "them" refers to the lost. I do understand the struggles that still exist today. As a child I lived through the actions of the 60's and did not understand. Even today, actions of my very own family haunt me. My heart aches for unity and for the veils of discrimination to be lifted. It aches for my children and grandchildren as well. Yet I hold on to a dream . . .
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together. This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring." (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Washington, DC, August 28, 1963)

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...