Tuesday, June 19, 2012

It's time to go fishing . . . .

As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him. When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.
(Mark 1:16-20) True fisherman are patient and eager at the same time. They will get up early and wait for what seems like days for that big catch. yet when the line is tugged from under the water, they eagerly jump to alertness and pull in the catch with all their energy. I have never been fishing, but I have heard stories from my father-in-law. I marvel at what those who fish go through in preparation and detail. I believe it is more the experience than the fish,but then the stories of those BIG fish . . . I don't know! However, my bride and I have made sure our youngest son has had the chance to fish with him at The Honey Hole (his favorite fishing spot),just to experience the time with him (he is now 85!). At times (my son tells me) the tug on the line may be sea weed or other junk. He gets all excited just to reeel in some dead plant! Other times he has reeled in a fish! He has been so excited as he runs in the house telling his fish story! Like many fisherman, jesus' followrs did not always find a successful catch. In fact, we read in John (John 1:35-42) and Luke (Luke 5:1-11) that even they took a bit of a time to be convinced to follow Jesus. Jesus had to cast His line a few times it seems! But what about us? Are we convinced to get out of our boats and follow after Jesus? Do we eagerly and patiently fish for others to follow Him? Are we willing tocast our lines daily into the sea of life? Which specific fish are out there for you to catch? In daily prayer, name those specific people and ask God for a good catch today! It's time to go fishing . . . .b>

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...