Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Win, Lose, or COMPETE?

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.(1 Corinthians 9:24-27)
We really have it twisted in this world....We celebrate the CHAMPIONS with parades, parties, and oversized trophies. On the other extreme we give EVERYONE an award for simply participating! I may be wrong, but it is the WAY we compete that matters, not necessarily where we finish. I believe that is what Paul is saying in the verses above. Let's face it, there are times when we just face stiffer competition and we will lose the match, the game, or the challenge, yet if we COMPETE to the best of our ability then that's all we can do! Compete in such a way as to achieve the goal . . . for the CHRISTian this would be to carry out God's will for ones life. Paul knew his role: Preach the true and living Gospel. What is your role . . . my role for God? If I do my part and you do your part, then God's agenda will be accomplished. I cannot do what you can do and we all cannot be first. Simply COMPETE to the best of our abilities. COMPETE!!!!!

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...