Monday, May 9, 2016

The Challenge of LOVE

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)
As we pass another Mother's Day celebration, there are many thoughts that have gone through my mind. While I rejoice in my own mother's contribution to my life, I still have unanswered questions as to her suffering the past many years with Alzheimer's/dementia. She was a dedicated mom and wife, despite the challenges she faced. She deserves better, but only God knows all the answers. I can only love her the best way I am able at this point. "Love" has changed, but it is still LOVE. In marriage, I am learning to love my stunningly beautiful wife through all the ups and downs of marriage. It is tough being working parents of adult and teenage children. It is a challenge making time for the many grandchildren. Serving full time in the mission field and work force is challenge enough. We must choose to serve, choose to sacrifice, choose to love despite our feelings and desires. However, I am a bit miffed at how some folks today use the word love today. While I hear "love" very often, it is rare to really observe it in action. I listen to a child say "I love you", yet I witness all forms of disrespect and lack of proper manners and honor which is due. I observe a spouse publically state "I love you" with flowers, chocolates, and rings, yet I witness a lack of sacrifice, submission, and sincere dedication to one another. Love is not easy!!! Above all the descriptions of love from Paul above, I must admit, love is a challenge! We must choose to love despite the ups and downs of life. We must choose to sacrifice when we least feel like doing it. We must choose to love when we believe we have been left a bit cheated or shorted in life. We must choose to love even when we are unloved, scorned, ridiculed, even forgotten. Yes, love is a choice. However, it is also a challenge. Thank you Jesus for choosing to love me! www.tsninthebeginning.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The love of God is suffering and kind, it doesn't focus on itself, it's not rude, it doesn't of evil and it doesn't seek its own wants. Love praises the truth, bears everything it does, believes in all things, has hope in all of those things, and takes in all things around it.

Anonymous said...

God himself suffered and was kind with us. Giving us his son in sacrifice. We should do what we can.

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...