Friday, January 15, 2016

Learn from the past: Don't live in it!

For I acknowledged my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. (Psalm 51:3)


David acknowledged his sin. Webster would define it as accepted or admitted. How many of us know we have sinned, but refuse to openly admit it or accept it . . .even when speaking with God? David did not say that Bathsheba should not have been out bathing. He did not blame Uriah for not protecting her. Neither did he say, “I’m just a man!” One who is chasing after the heart of God realizes that he cannot hide anything from Him! 


Admitting and confessing our sin brings us into the proper fellowship or relationship with God. Though we may be eternally saved, sin causes a break in fellowship, much like a child being put in time-out. The child still belongs to his parents, but there is a divide caused by the transgression. Yet even after the admittance and apology, there are still consequences that can last a long time, even for a lifetime. Even in my own life, I can now understand why things have been the way they have been. Some decisions, some actions have caused me to be disqualified from some areas of  God’s service. Therefore, my sin is always before me. This is not always a bad thing though, as I am often reminded of the consequences of my sin and the result it can have upon my family and service for Christ.


Is there a sin that is always before you? Have you confessed it? If so, allow it to keep you from future sin. Turn evil to good. Slap the devil right in his face and tell him that sin has been driven as far as the east is from the west! (Psalm 103:12) You (we) are moving on! 


No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...