Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Our Disciples?

For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. (1 Thessaloninans 1:5-6)
We are often asked what we actually do within our ministry. I frequently wonder myself and in my time of conversation with the Lord just what motivates me! As one who has been gifted in evangelism and teaching, I have come to the conclusion that I really get excited not just when folks (especially kids) accept Christ as Lord and savior, but when they live it! Many times I have run into a young lady or man that comes up and reminds me that I led them to Christ years ago or prayed with them at a time when they were struggling. Now to see them walking closely with the Lord brings me a sense of satisfaction sure,but more importantly it reminds me of my first priorty . . . keep sharing Christ with everyone! We never really know who acccepts Christ and who does not . . . that lies with God. Of the many times I have heard someone say they are saved, there are even fewer times that I actually see someone living for Christ! To really believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is a lifestyle, making decisions minute-by-minute to follow the Lord.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.(Galatians 2:20)
Recently I have been so encouraged to have a few of the kids we have worked with either come up to us in church, call us, send an e-mail, or even contact us on Facebook and let us know how they are doing. While they are not perfect, they have let us know that the things we have shared with them are now making sense. They realize what it really means to be a Christian and are trying to allow God complete control of their lives. Our Christian walk is a process. Listen to Paul:
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.(Philippians 2:12-13)
So while my first priority is sharing the Word and leading everyone I may come in contact with to Christ, coming in at 1b is follow-up. Let's not be afraid to ask someone how their walk is comng along. What are their struggles? How can we help them? More importantly, how can help each other stay closer to Christ? Let's not forget discipleship! After all, Jesus walked with His closest friends for three years before letting them on their own.
How long are we willing to walk alongside one of our disciples?

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...