Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reality Check

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:14-25)
If you think we don't sin . . . well we are lying! While it remains our goal as believers to not sin, the reality is that we do. We strive to sin less and less each day, but being sinless has been accomplished by only one . . . Without the sacrifice of Christ on the cross and the power of the Holy Spirit residing in us as His children, well we are lost! We are hopeless. No man is perfect . . . not one!!! Thank God for His grace. Embrace it. He grants us forgiveness through Christ alone, not our merits. (Ephesians 2:8)Paul knew this well. As great and as zealous as he was for the casue of Christ, he realized he was nothing without grace. He battled sin from within day after day. I too know the struggles. I want to please God daily, but from the moment I open my eyes, I feel the struggle between my will vs. the will of my God. I want what I want, yet I seek to please the One who has resued me from the penalty of sin.
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.(1 John 3:8-10)
I need a serious reality check all day long. Whether I am battling fatigue, selfishness, pride, bitterness, or just plain old laziness, I must decide moment by moment to live for Christ and not for me. How 'bout you?

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...