Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mission work:The labor is not cheap or free!

Don't we have the right to eat and drink? Don't we have the right to take a believing wife with us when we travel? The other apostles do. The Lord's brothers do. Peter does. Or are Barnabas and I the only ones who have to work for a living? Who serves as a soldier but doesn't get paid? Who plants a vineyard but doesn't eat any of its grapes? Who takes care of a flock but doesn't drink any of the milk? Do I say that from only a human point of view? The Law says the same thing. Here is what is written in the Law of Moses. "Do not stop an ox from eating while it helps separate the grain from the straw."(Deuteronomy 25:4) Is it oxen that God is concerned about? Doesn't he say that for us? Yes, it was written for us. When a farmer plows and separates the grain, he does it because he hopes to share in the crop. We have planted spiritual seed among you. Is it too much to ask that we receive from you some of the things we need? Others have the right to receive help from you. Don't we have even more right to do so? But we didn't use that right. No, we have put up with everything. We didn't want to keep the good news of Christ from spreading. Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple? Don't you know that those who serve at the altar eat from what is offered on the altar? In the same way, those who preach the good news should receive their living from their work. That is what the Lord has commanded. But I haven't used any of those rights. And I'm not writing because I hope you will do things like that for me. I would rather die than have anyone take away my pride in my work. But when I preach the good news, I can't brag. I have to preach it. How terrible it will be for me if I do not preach the good news! If I preach because I want to, I get a reward. If I preach because I have to, I'm only doing my duty. Then what reward do I get? Here is what it is. I am able to preach the good news free of charge. And I can do it without making use of my rights when I preach it. I am free. I don't belong to anyone. But I make myself a slave to everyone. I do it to win as many as I can to Christ.
(1 Corinthians 9:4-19) Paul is speaking to people here . . . not the church! It is not the church body's job to support missions . . . it is the individual believer who is challenged to support the work of those who have been called out of thre world to share the Good News in the communities! Thank God for the pastors who support missions with the church finances, but all believers need to give! When missionaries, and preachers have to work outside of where God has called them, the ministry suffers . . .the people suffer . . . people's needs are not met! Needless to say . . . we all suffer and God is not pleased. My wife and I were called by God to bring children from at-risk to at-home one family at a time back in 1997 when we first married. Since then we have used up our retirement, savings, and every dime we have earned to serve God, those he sends our way, and meet our family needs. Never have we charged for what we do. Many of you support our work . . . some since 1997! You have seen the blessings . . . However, many have witnessed what God is doing and stay on the sidelines. We hear that we are doing a noble work. We are told we have been foolish at times. We have even been called a bit crazy for leaving our jobs . . . by believers! Yes, we believe seving God is noble. Yes, we are fools for Christ! And yes, it is crazy to obey God in this world!!! However, we did! I get excited every time I witness God at work . . . a teenager gives his or life to Christ . . . a single mom becomes convicted to change her lifestyle . . .a toddler prays to have Jesus come into his heart! This is all God . . . we are simply there for Him to use. Many lives have changed because God has used us. God has fed the homeless, brought children into our home to live, paid for schooling, tutored, counseled, and mentored young lives. Have you been a part of that? Do you desire to witness these things? You too can experience this joy! Right now we have a young man living with us for the next year or so. His mom has asked that we take him in and see if we can change his life. We cannot . . . only God can do that. . . But we are willing to try! Will you partner with us? The labor is not cheap or free! Since 1999, TSN has been operating at less than 40% funding. God fills in the remainder. But this year, we are asking God to fully fund our ministry so more can be reached . . . so more lives can be rescued from hell! It is getting late!!!! Please pray and commit to giving to God so He may give to The Sparrows' Nest Ministries, Inc. It is an investment in eternity and an investment God wants us all to make. Give today at www.tsnministries.orgy

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...