Monday, February 6, 2012

Why Am I Here?

For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.
(Colossians 1:16)

It's the question we all have asked at some point in life . . . most of us have asked it more than once. "Why am I here?"

While we have many reasons for doing things in life, there is an underlying goal. Each of us has a core reason to exist. There is a hole in the pit of everyone's heart that needs to be fulfilled. Folks work long hours, sacrifice relationships, and suffer health issues for the satisfaction of filling this void . . . yet we find only stress, frustration and failure. We must go back to the reason we exist. Hear from John . . .

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
(John 1:1)

We get so caught up in the world and its distracions that we begin to focus on me and my life . . . my desires, my plans, my success. At times, it is even an unselfish motive (wife, children, etc), but still my wife, my children . . . We must realize that it is not me, but God!

The god we need to be pleasing is not me or man, but the God who designed each of us! In Him alone is our reason for existence. All our frustrations and failures lie in our motive to work. Just as with the early philosophers Paul addressed in the following verses, we are seeking to please the wrong (unknown)god:

For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship . . .and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.
(Acts 17:23)

As believers, our success is not measured in buildings, bank accounts, or popularity. All we do, even the very breath we take, is for His glory. Once we realize this is our reason to exist, life becomes a bit more clear. We are here to please God. From the inner parts of our bodies, to work of our fingertips, to the footprints we leave behind. . . it is all for God!

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...