Thursday, December 15, 2011

Will We Ever Be One?

But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. He prayed to the LORD, “Isn’t this what I said, LORD, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. Now, LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”
(Jonah 4:1-3)

Jonah did not like the people from Ninevah. He thought they did not deserve God's grace. He would rather die than see them saved! Yet God is the God for all peoples!

Racism has been around since man can remember. There has always been one group who believes they are better, deserve more, and have a right Lord over another. Will we ever be one . . . at least in the Body of Christ . . . especially in the Body of Christ?

I was at a seminar yesterday listening to a man explaining his experience with racism and just hearing the reponses from the audience (young, old, black, white and asian) let me know that it is still a challenge for even believers to trust one another. Skin color and ethnic cultures is still a dividing line. Sometimes, I wonder if people would rather have it that way!

One thing I do know: It does not please the Lord! Listen to a few of Jesus' words He shared with the father before He was about to go to Calvary:

I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
(John 17:20-21)

I realize it is difficult to overcome the past. But of Chrst can forgive our past . . . as far as the East is from the West, can we not at least try to put away the sins of our forefathers? Can we live in unity under the grace of God. If we say we love God, but hate our brothers and sisiters, how can we possibly love God?

Just a thought from my heart at CHRISTmas!

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...