Monday, December 19, 2011

Who is Our God?

No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
(Matthew 6:24)

Every one wants to know that their life matters . . . to someone. Our life interests show up in our check book and on our to-do list. The Bible is clear that where we spend out time and money is where our heart is focused. What matters to us is the legacy we will leave behind.

Though I love sports and look forward to a good game, in reality, the games are over in a few hours. No matter how much time I invest in trying to stay in shape, the fact is I will die one day, no matter how good I look or feel. The money I spend on things that clutter my shelves, sit in my garage, or cover my body is in actuality only worth pennies!

What am I doing for eternity's sake? What am I investing in my family? I am just as guilty as the next guy . . . I must make better decisions when it comes to Whom I am serving . . . me or my God . . . me or the things that have eternal consequences!

Who is our God anyway? Let's re-read the challenge Joshua laid before the Israelites . . .

Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
(Joshua 24:14-15)

Ask my wife and she will tell you that I have room to improve. Ask my children and they will tell you where I have come up short. My prayer is that I am better tomorrow that I was yesterday. My desire is to leave a legacy of sacrifice and service, not selfishness and self-centeredness . I want my family to be able to say time with God and family was a priority in my life.

I want to be known as a bondservant of Jesus Christ (Romans 1:1). My desire is to leave a legacy that depicts dedication to God and family and not a litany of accomplishments of selfish deeds. May God be exalted and I be diminished in the years I have left to serve!

When asked: "Who was his God?", I want the answer to be crystal clear . . . The very same God of Abraham, Isaac, and the rest. He served the Lord!

May this be our prayer . . . that we serve the Lord and Him alone! Let HIM be our God!!!

1 comment:

G. HUBBARD said...

our free SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD program inspires daily talks catch they need your help with first question our blog helps g hubbard po box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 http://talkwiththelord.blogspot.com/

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...