Monday, November 24, 2008

11 24 08 Click, Click…We Won’t Quit!

“When you make a promise to God, don't wait too long to carry it out. He isn't pleased with foolish people. So do what you have promised. It is better to make no promise at all than to make a promise and not keep it.” (Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 NIrV)


Too much is at stake…Too many need too much…If we don’t…who will? If not now, then when? When the going gets tough, well, God is still right where’s He’s always been! But where are we? So many sayings; is there enough doing?

There is a saying I picked up from my friends in ministry in New Orleans. As they interact with the kids, they repeat “Click, click” and the children respond, “We won’t quit.” I take this a step further with my six-year-old and others: “We won’t quit…on God and each other”, we answer back.

That’s just where I am today…in need…in want…not knowing exactly what God will do or how He will do it; yet committed to my Father and His purposes. I won’t quit. It will be an embarrassment to God! It will shame my family. My wife and I promised the Lord over 11 years ago that we would dedicate our family and our lives to His work and through all the struggles; we have stayed faithful to that promise. If others are to see God at work, I want it to be through us. After all, aren’t we here for one sole purpose: to serve God…to allow Him to use us…for Him to get glory?

“Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of gifts he does not give.”
(Proverbs 25:14 NIV)



I really have nothing to give God that He doesn’t already have. I have no special gift or talent. I don’t propose to know what He’ll do today or tomorrow. I only know what He has done in and through others and that He does it for His glory. When He provides a need, it may help me, yet it lets others know He is working. When the miraculous occurs, it’s not because someone is so righteous that they deserve it, but that God desires to announce that “I am God”! He doesn’t need my empty promises, lackadaisical attitude, or woe is me whining. He deserves my obedience, respect, and commitment, nothing less. If He provides me with something unexpected; praise God. If I must have less than I expect (maybe I am expecting too much) praise God as well. You see, one thing I know of God: He does things His way in His time!

God only wants my devotion to Him. I can promise Him that. I definitely do not want to promise what is out of my control! I don’t want to promise what I know I won’t let go of. I won’t tell God He is selling me short. Neither will I tell someone what God has for them. God holds us accountable to every idle word we mutter.

It comes down to a lack of respect for the One who still holds the world in His hands. I pray I can let go of what I am holding onto and let Him hold onto me…to His glory…to His honor…for His pleasure! I WON’T QUIT!

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...