Wednesday, October 10, 2007

10 10 07 Blessed to Bless Others

“Dear friend, you demonstrate faithfulness by whatever you do for the brothers (even though they are strangers). They have testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their way in a manner worthy of God. For they have gone forth on behalf of “The Name,” accepting nothing from the pagans. Therefore we ought to support such people, so that we become coworkers in cooperation with the truth.” (3 John 1:5-8 NET)


John gives clear instruction in his epistle to Gaius and others at this church to support the travelling missionaries in whatever way they can. He also applauds Gaius for his actions of hospitality and support, as he has a testimony from others to what he has done. We too then are encouraged and challenged to support the work of the missionary and other Christian workers as we become co-workers with the Truth of the Gospel


“She extends her hand to the poor, yes; she reaches out her hands to the needy.” (Proverbs 31:20 NET)

The woman Solomon describes here in Proverbs not only describes a godly woman, but my wife in particular. Tamara has taught me through her sacrificial attitude of giving to give from what we have, even though it may be the last of what we have. She realizes (and I have come to realize through her) that we are BLESSED TO BLESS OTHERS, not just to enjoy the blessing. As in the parallel expressions in Proverbs 31:20, underscored is her care for the needy. The first part uses “she spreads her palm” and the second “she thrusts out her hand,” repeating some of the vocabulary introduced in the last verse. It’s not simply a giving of a small gift, but the opening of her palms and full extension of her arms. To me this demonstrates an attitude of what I have is yours; come in and rest, take what you need!


Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:” (Proverbs 31:28 NET)

I know our children are so very grateful for all Tamara has done to provide for them. They may not realize it just yet. I, however, realize day after day the blessing I have in my bride! She is not just the beauty of our family, but the brains and backbone of our life’s work for the Lord as well. She is my encourager, my shoulder, my love, my heart, and my best and closest friend. She makes up for many of my shortcomings much like a touch-up artist does for a painting or photo. What you see is a result of the Lord’s and my wife’s work on and in me! She has been BLESSED by God and teaches all of us TO BLESS OTHERS in return!

Like Gaius, her testimony goes before her and speaks well of her partnership in the spreading of the Gospel. Though not gifted in evangelism, she spreads the Gospel through hospitality, administration, and faith! Whether it’s a visiting ministry from New Orleans, a fellow mission worker from New Hampshire, college students from Connecticut, a mission Pastor from St.Vincent, or and infant or child in need she opens her home. If someone needs help organizing business papers, food for the family, or clothing or school supplies for the kids, Tamara is there to assist. My wife is co-worker in the Truth indeed! She is BLESSED TO BLESS OTHERS. I am truly blessed and humbled to be her husband, friend, partner in ministry and lifelong soul-mate in marriage. Bless God for how He has allowed His blessings to cover me!

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...