Thursday, July 19, 2007

07 19 07 Not An Easy Task

“So I do not run uncertainly or box like one who hits only air. Instead I subdue my body and make it my slave, so that after preaching to others I myself will not be disqualified.”
(1 Corinthians 9:26-27)

It’s NOT AN EASY TASK living life in a fish bowl, or at least feeling like I’m in one. This is a rather personal devotion, so I hope and pray it still may help you or someone you share it with. But if you’ve lived a life anything similar to mine, you just might be able to relate. When coming to know Jesus in y thirties, in the middle of a crossroads in life, there was much adjustment required and many things I simply had to turn away from. As with any new Christian, change takes place over time.

The struggle came in when I realized the gifts the Holy Spirit endowed me with and then attempting to use them wisely. Even today, I struggle at times with what the Spirit is saying and man‘s opinion concerning my direction. While grace abounds where sin once ruled, unfortunately, man still remembers and at times puts limits where God has loosed the chains. Though Christ has wiped away every one of my sins by His blood upon the cross, I still am reminded at times by a look in the mirror, or worse, a look into someone else’s eyes. It’s NOT AN EASY TASK to keep boxing, fight to keep my mind and body in subjection, and to stay in the race. At times, I do feel that man would keep me disqualified. Thank God that He has cleansed me from all sin and that day I look into His eyes, I will see real grace, real forgiveness, and true acceptance!

“Let no one look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in your speech, conduct, love, faithfulness, and purity.
Until I come, give attention to the public reading of scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the spiritual gift you have,
given to you and confirmed by prophetic words when the elders laid hands on you.
Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them,
so that everyone will see your progress.
Be conscientious about how you live and what you teach. Persevere in this, because by doing so you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.”
(1 Timothy 4:12-16)

Timothy faced peer pressure. He was from a mixed family, had a strong mother and grandmother (was Dad around?) and he was inexperienced. But Paul urged him to be an example, stay consistent, and not to neglect his gifts. Let all concerned see God at work through him. After all, these gifts were from God, not man! I feel this! So many ask how I can be where I am and have a right to do what I’m doing, yet God called me and wife to this mission. Many watch to see if we’ll fail, but I continue in the work to let them see God’s power, even through me. Many have counted me out, but God called me into His light and desires to use me, despite my past failures. He desires and delights in my progress and faithfulness from the time He saved me until now, not the things of my past. It’s NOT AN EASY TASK to work in a fish bowl of what seems like piranhas at times, but His grace is sufficient and like Daniel and his friends, I desire to keep my eyes on Christ, not those turning up the heat.

No comments:

Draft Day . . . what we see and what we do not see right now.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light aff...