Tuesday, June 9, 2020

To My Students.....

 In the meantime, when an innumerable multitude of people had gathered together, so that they trampled one another, He began to say to His disciples first of all, “Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.  For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known.  Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops. “And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.  But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!  “Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. “Also I say to you, whoever confesses Me before men, him the Son of Man also will confess before the angels of God. But he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God.(Luke 12:1-9)
 I normally write something different each day....new scripture....new thoughts....new insight. But today, I am copying my post from June 5, 2020. However, I am writing to my students, especially my graduating seniors,  as they face a new and challenging world . .  . and prayerfully and changing world!

Demonstrations/Fear/Injustice? God Cares! Yes, today. . .  BLACK LIVES MATTER!

How would Jesus address the crowds? We have can example here in Luke. People were fed up with the "system" . . . both the Roman oppression and the Pharisees' laws and regulations. People wanted change. Yet Jesus urged patience and faith. . . not in the hypocrisy of government, political parties, or even individuals, but in God!

In the bible, there were times when lepers mattered most, when the blind mattered most and when the repentant sinner next to Jesus on the cross mattered most. One lost sheep matters more than the ninety-nine in the fold when it is wondering!

Right now, BLACK LIVES MATTER the most . . . because my brothers, my sisters, my family members, my students,  are at risk! Yet we cannot put our trust in Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives or Liberals! We must place our trust in God alone, Who controls our souls!

The injustice in our Nation is a result of fear, selfishness, ignorance, and most of all the systematic subtle and not-so-subtle process of racism and discrimination. Once my white eyes were opened to it, it has been plain to see! Yet even more so, my spiritual eyes have been opened even wider!

Though really just a nobody, I seek reconciliation. Many times I walk alone, especially among people who look like me, because of how I have been treated. Yet, I attempt to model a life of acceptance, embracing all cultures. I seek unity of believers first, desiring some real conversation and honest feelings shared. Without anger and bitterness, I desire to be one with my brothers and sisters. I will never understand, but I must hurt with those who have been hurt! I can plead for justice for and with those who experience injustice! As a child of the 1960's, I still have horrible images of the streets of Baltimore and to this day I cannot understand why! I do not want that for you!

Students, especially seniors, these are changing times for sure! I have done my best to present you with an opportunity to know Christ and to see things from a biblical perspective. It is challenging for sure. This year, you have lost out on dances, dinners, trips, parties, and even senior prank days! Yet you also have been able to witness a Nation of varying cultures.... young and old, black and white, male and female, yes, even gay and straight, gathering together and saying, "No more!" 

I love each and everyone of you. I will always be here for you. I still long for the day, as Dr. King said, when we all will be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. It will come! I challenge you to continue, but be sure when others see and hear you, they first see Christ! Only His grace, mercy, and love can heal these deep wounds! I walk together, arm in arm, heart to heart and soul to soul with you all because. . .

BLACK LIVES MATTER TO GOD AND TO ME!!!!

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...