Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Now that you know......but why?

Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.” (Matthew 7:24-27)
Now that you know what to do . . . know why you DO IT! As I disciple young folks, my main concern is what they are doing with the knowledge they are accumulating and why. Many are seeking futures and careers and have them planned out already . . . NFL, MLB, NBA, law, medical field, business owners, technology gurus, etc. While this all well and good and commendable, I am deeply concerned about their whys more than their whats!

Why do they want to be what they are planning and chasing? Foundational truths in one's life motivate people to pursue things. If I believe money will provide all I need in life, then I will run acts the dollar. If I believe my success and stature is based on whom I associate with, then I will pursue those of influence. Yet if I truly believe my value is rooted in what God knows of me and has planned for me, then my desire will be to seek Him and His plans (Matthew 6:33).

You see, for a CHRISTian, the motivation is why I do things, not what I do! Whether I am a doctor, lawyer, teacher, pro athlete, graphic designer, or mechanic, my desire is to please God. This is the foundation for why I wake up every day and why He wakes me up! No matter what I face daily, me desire is to please the One who made me! I cannot allow the ups and downs of this world rock my foundation!

No comments:

4-24-24 . . . .backward and forward . . . today is today no matter how we write it.

Today is 4-24-24. No matter if we write it forward or backward, it is still 4-24-24. This reminds me of my scripture today . . . Look at God...