Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Agitate! Agitate! Agitate

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control , to perseverance godliness to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness loveFor if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to perseverance for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth.  Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you . . . .(2 Peter 1:5-13)
Peter is nearing his death . . .yes even death upon a cross as Jesus predicted.  (John 21:18-19) One thing he wanted to be sure of was that those whom he taught were truly saved and growing in their faith. I now understand that burden!

As a husband, dad, grandfather, coach, mentor, and teacher, I am many times challenged with the thought that those under me don't quite get it. While we are never quite sure of another's faith, I am constantly reminding those around me to continue to grow and show growth. As Peter wrote that we grow in virtue (righteousness, integrity) knowledge, self-control, kindness, and love, our relationship with Christ is evident and active!

Just weeks before Frederick Douglass died, a young black man asked him for his best advice. Douglass’s response? “Agitate! Agitate! Agitate!” A lot like Peter, Mr. Douglass kept things stirred up! We cannot allow our faith to grow stale! 

Some of the last words of both Peter and Mr. Douglass were to keep things moving and improving 

Great advice indeed!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...