Friday, September 6, 2019

Light on a dark and stony path

How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth. Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.(Psalm 119:104-105)
It's good to carry a light with you as the night gets dark, especially in unfamiliar territory. Our phone spotlights come in handy  when we come up to our cars on a dark parking lot, or as we search for the house keys when the porch light is off. Flashlights are a necessity wandering through dark woods on a mountain retreat or vacationing on the beaches at night.

The Jewish streets were rough, stony, and dark. Lamps were set up along walkways and torches were used as a guide in the wilderness. It was dangerous to go into unfamiliar territory without a light . . . animals, thieves, and rough terrain could cause serious harm . . . . even death!

It is no different for a believer today. As CHRIST-followers we need a guide. We need a GPS system to show us the way and light up dark paths. That is exactly what the Word of God is! It lights up dark and dangerous situations for us to see Truth and guides our very path from stumbling into deceptive lies which the world offers.

He will leave His light on for us! Do not turn it off!

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...