Thursday, February 21, 2019

Model Prayer LIFE

Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secretwill Himself reward you openly.  “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.  But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. “Therefore do not be like them. (Matthew 6:1-8)
Anyone who has attended church for any extended amount of time know what Jesus is talking about here. We all have witnessed the "pray-ers"! Those who stand before the congregation or even in small groups and begin to speak in that "prayer vernacular". Their voice suddenly gets more religious. Their words suddenly become more on the seminary level and their pronunciation becomes very detailed. When they are finished praying, many feel as though a sermon has been given, confession completed, and all that's left is to take up an offering and go home!

Jesus would say the same to us today as He did back then: It's not about people knowing what we know but do we know Jesus a personal level!

This Model Prayer in the Gospels is not for repetition or grandeur. It is a guide for personal conversations with the Lord our God. It is meant for a quiet time of speaking and listening to God. There is a time and place for corporate prayer . . . to lift up the needs of the people and to Praise God as a Body. However, more needed is a consistent private time between us and our Lord and Savior.

Let's ask ourselves some questions: "Why do I pray? Is it to be seen and heard by men or by God? How intimate am I with my Lord? Am I simply going through formalities of CHRISTianity or do I have that personal relationship with Christ that shows in my daily living? Am I living a life Jesus outlined in Matthew 6? Am I more a Pharisee or a follower of Jesus?"

Am I living a Model Prayer Life?

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...