Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Even feelings of guilt are forgiven!

But again he denied with an oath, “I do not know the Man!” And a little later those who stood by came up and said to Peter, “Surely you also are one of them, for your speech betrays you.” Then he began to curse and swear, saying, “I do not know the Man!” Immediately a rooster crowed. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus who had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” So he went out and wept bitterly. (Matthew 26:72-75)
Even the feelings of guilt are forgiven with Jesus!

I am just as guilty as Peter. No, I may not verbally deny Him, but my daily actions prove I am not as committed as I should be. I disappoint Him. I disappoint everyone for that matter! I disappoint myself the most. I know the right thing to do and more than occasionally blow it!!!!

I often wonder what Paul was saying in his do/do not rant. (Romans 7:15-20) I wonder if his struggles were anything like mine? Was it relationships? Was it sexual? Was it spiritual? Was it his past? Was he lonely, bitter, ashamed? Even with Peter....he was so ashamed! But he did not give up as Judas did. He may have avoided things after Christ was crucified, but he did not give up. More importantly, Jesus did not give up on him!
He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.  Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.” (John 21:17-19)
Will we accept Jesus' forgiveness or not . . . Even feelings of guilt? Will we "Follow Him?"

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...