Thursday, March 16, 2017

Giving Up . . . .Control!

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.(1Corinthians 9:24-27)
Human appetites, in themselves, are not sinful. In fact, they're God-given. However, because of our fleshly weaknesses, they need to be controlled. When our appetites rule us, we're in trouble. Paul likened the Christian life to that of athletes who are so focused on winning the race that they exercise self-control in every area of their lives. We cannot control our appetites without help. It is human nature to over indulge. We know the entire bag of chips is not to be eaten within 30 minutes, yet we somehow finish it during one TV show. We know how much is too much, yet we have another helping of mac and cheese or a third dip of that favorite ice cream. However, the Helper, the Counselor, the Paraclete (the One Who comes alongside us) is here to help us maintain focus and in some cases common sense. He can also help in other areas of self-control. Fasting is a great way to practice spiritual discipline over our desires. It is a great way to learn to give over control to God the Holy Spirit. Be encouraged . . . Today is day 16!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uugh, I'm still fasting for Lent. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Too much is too bad!

4-24-24 . . . .backward and forward . . . today is today no matter how we write it.

Today is 4-24-24. No matter if we write it forward or backward, it is still 4-24-24. This reminds me of my scripture today . . . Look at God...