Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Outreach or In-House Entertainment?

As the population began to convert to Christianity in the Celtic region (largely due to Patrick) Samhain began to lose popularity. However, rather than eradicating the evil practices, the Church gave it and other holidays a Christian "twist" to bring paganism to Christianity. Costumes now replace disguises and candy has replaced fruit . . . but should CHRIST followers "celebrate"?
Let's look at the root of the holiday . . .
Is there anything uplifting, pure, lovely, or praiseworthy? Is there anything noble or of good report? In other words, does it in any way honor God?
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any VIRTUE and if there is anything praiseworthy, meditate on these things. (Philippians 4:8)
I know I may sound a bit prudish or rather conservative. I realize we have to reach people where they are. However, many of our activities geared to our "saved" folks need not be geared toward the "lost"! If we are truly doing an outreach, than let's "reach out to the lost" but "disciple" the saved! Meet those who know the Lord with "meat" rather than "milk". Milk is for babies . . . . I am afraid we are becoming the early Church from Patrick's day . . .maybe it's just me?????

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...