Friday, August 12, 2016

A Place in Which to Look Forward

"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house, are many mansions, if it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go, and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Muself; that where I am, there you may be also. (John 14:1-3)
These words of Christ were not simply encouraging to the disciples, but they should be motivating to us today. As the world becomes more and more challenging for the believer, these words should cause us to look forward, not to a time in the past or even to a vacation in the future, but a time to look to OUR future with Christ. Heaven should be better than life on this earth! It's a place of peace . . . a place of rest . . . a place of safety . . .a place of "ahhhhh, YES!!!" My bride and I just completed a week at the beach. We looked forward to it from the time I searched for it and booked it. It would come after a year of teaching. It would follow a summer of work, a teen missions' trip, and a week of Vacation Bible School teaching third- fourth grade boys. The beach condo promised a comfortable setting, inviting decor, use of beach chairs and umbrella . . . even a Kurig! To top it off it would be just me and my bride . . . teenage son was already away with his older brother! Once we arrived and settled in . . . we had the "ahhh, YES!"moment.
As we prepare for a new school year and a year of new challenges, are we looking forward to what God has in store or are we fretting over tomorrow? Are our yesterdays placing a shadow over our today and tomorrows? Have we not made proper preparations? Are we not fully trusting God?
As a teacher, it is my task to prepare a classroom that is inviting and enticing to the student. When they enter, they should be comfortable and eager to learn. They should feel a sense of belonging. They should identify with the surroundings. They should be safe and welcome. It should be a place they would invite their friends visit and perhaps decide to join them. I prepare a place for the student to be at home.
However, I must first be at peace. For my students to be comfortable in my room, I must also be prepared and ready . . . and comfortable!
It is the same way with our walk with Christ. First we must know Him personally. We must be comfortable knowing we are one with Him and secure in that relationship. That takes time in itself. Then to invite someone else in to the same relationship, we must be prepared. We must be secure knowing the place we are, Jesus is as well. We must be living as if we are anticipating our arrival, preparing to go, securing the way, and living with anticipation. As a teacher and mentor, I want my students to feel welcomed, comfortable, but also to know there is more to life than simply "today". Though I work hard to prepare my room, my lesson plans, field trips, etc, there is a better place. There is a best place . . . with Christ. I desire for them to know only hear it, but to feel it and experience it. We should be in that "ahhh, YES" place daily, even as we face challenges. We can look ahead and have enough joy to say, "Ahhh, YES!"
Are you looking forward to tomorrow?

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...