Friday, July 10, 2015

Earthly Decisions . . . Eternal Rewards . . . Delayed Gratification

Whoever then acknowledges Me before people, I will acknowledge before My Father in heaven. But whoever denies Me before people, I will deny him also before My Father in heaven. Do not think I have come to bring peace to the earth. . . Whoever loves father or mother more than Me . . . son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And whoever does not take up his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. Whoever finds his life will lose it and whoever loses his life because of Me will find it. (Matthew 11:32-39)

Harsh words for many, even many within the Church; misunderstood words as well. Family can be our biggest roadblock to fully committing to follow Christ. To truly "take up the cross and follow Jesus" take 100% commitment. 

I can honestly say I have felt this pain . . . Even today! Answering "yes" to the call to ministry in 1999 has caused much turmoil within our family. Some said we were foolish. Others said we were crazy. Still others said we were not qualified. Some even today say we care more for "others" than we do our own. Well, all I can do is keep reading and re-reading the verses above! 

I have taken up my cross, stumbling many times along the way, but I am not going to abandon it. Because of my earthly choices, the world, even those closest to me at times, have rejected and criticized me. Yet I await the heavenly rewards!

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...