Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why Pray?


In a secretive moment of foreboding, Jesus spoke a heartfelt prayer; a personal connection with eternity, while just outside of their presence forces of evil organized in opposition.


Faced with impossible tasks and insurmountable odds, where do we turn . . . to Whom do we turn? Listen carefully to our Savior's words as His heart was beginning to crumble . . .

I will not remain in the world any longer. But they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them safe by the power of your name. It is the name you gave me. Keep them safe so they can be one, just as you and I are one . . .  I have given them your word. The world has hated them. That’s because they are not part of the world any more than I am. I do not pray that you will take them out of the world. I pray that you will keep them safe from the evil one. . . “I do not pray only for them. I pray also for everyone who will believe in me because of their message. Father, I pray they will be one, just as you are in me and I am in you. I want them also to be in us. Then the world will believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory you gave me. I did this so they would be one, just as we are one. I will be in them, just as you are in me. This is so that they may be brought together perfectly as one. Then the world will know that you sent me. It will also show the world that you have loved those you gave me, just as you have loved me.                           (John 17:11, 14-15,20-23).

Jesus prayed for His disciples but also for you and me! Is that not awesome?!?! His prayer was that we could be one with Him and the father and with one another. He desires for us to STAND in the midst of trials and not to falter. 

We can go through trials knowing God goes with us and he equips us to honor Him in the midst of it all. Who else can you and I possibly trust?

This is why I pray!

No comments:

Stuff will happen

Surely the righteous will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever. They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast,...