Thursday, January 16, 2014

Do we really think we can hide from God?

Go to the great city of Nineveh. Preach against it. The sins of its people have come to my attention.” But Jonah ran away from the Lord. He headed for Tarshish. So he went down to the port of Joppa. There he found a ship that was going to Tarshish. He paid the fare and went on board. Then he sailed for Tarshish. He was running away from the Lord. (Jonah 1:2-3)
Jonah was such a fool wasn't he? So we too are fools many times in our lives! What Jonah did is exactly what we do over and over again in our lives . . . we choose our way over God's will. Then we believe that we can get away with it with no consequences! Foolishness . . . .
Do we really think we can hide from God?
Let's look back at the choices we've made to try to do things our way. . . nights we've laid awake with a knot in our stomach, full of fear and anxiety about things that we could not change anyway. We numb ourselves with food, alcohol, drugs, sex, shopping, or something else that was not the answer we were looking for anyway. In the end we felt more empty than the day before.
Why do we torment ourselves?
Like Jonah, what we need to do is humble ourselves and surrender our wills to God. We need to agree that God wants what is best for us and it would be best to do what He says to do! Perhaps we need to get to know God a little better . . . spend more time with Him than with others or other things!
How can I get away from your Spirit? Where can I go to escape from you? If I go up to the heavens, you are there. If I lie down in the deepest parts of the earth, you are also there. Suppose I were to rise with the sun in the east and then cross over to the west where it sinks into the ocean. Your hand would always be there to guide me. Your right hand would still be holding me close. Suppose I were to say, “I’m sure the darkness will hide me. The light around me will become as dark as night.” Even that darkness would not be dark to you. The night would shine like the day, because darkness is like light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...