Monday, December 23, 2013

Do I Celebrate CHRISTmas?

An angel of the Lord appeared to them. And the glory of the Lord shone around them. They were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy. It is for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord. 12 Here is how you will know I am telling you the truth. You will find a baby wrapped in strips of cloth and lying in a manger." 13 Suddenly a large group of angels from heaven also appeared. They were praising God. They said, 14 "May glory be given to God in the highest heaven! And may peace be given to those he is pleased with on earth!"
(Luke 2:9-14) I know all about the secular and satanic symbols. I know the cultic associations with Christmas. Yet I still celebrate!
The evergreen tree (to me) represents the eternal life every believer has when he trusts the sacrifice Jesus made upon a tree long ago(Romans 10:9-10). That cross is stationed just behind the nativity scene in my yard and reminds everyone who rides by that a child was born to die in order to save man from his sin(John 3:16!) The angels spelling out "Peace on Earth" shout out the joy we should all still feel within our hearts (Luke 2:14). The candy cane symbolizes the shepherd's staff, reaching out to the lost sheep. The red represents the blood shed to make my heart white as snow before God. Even the peppermint taste is said to represent the bittersweet "holy herb" hyssop David once asked to purge him (Psalm 51:7). The lights, well they remind me that we are still to be the light to a dark world (Matthew 5:14-16). And Santa, well there was once a really nice CHRISTian man who did good for those in need and although he is not eternal like Christ, he is a good image for an innocent child to hold onto!
So do I celebrate? Oh yeah! I celebrate because I know the Savior! I celebrate because the Bible tells me to celebrate as the shepherds and magi did! I celebrate not to please my neighborhood or my friends, but to honor my God (Galatians 1:10)! Celebrate CHRISTmas while it is still legal! Take a stand for the Savior who was born to die . . . and rise to give us life and freedom to CELEBRATE!

No comments:

4-24-24 . . . .backward and forward . . . today is today no matter how we write it.

Today is 4-24-24. No matter if we write it forward or backward, it is still 4-24-24. This reminds me of my scripture today . . . Look at God...