Monday, December 30, 2013

By whose standards?

God has breathed life into all of Scripture. It is useful for teaching us what is true. It is useful for correcting our mistakes. It is useful for making our lives whole again. It is useful for training us to do what is right. By using Scripture, a man of God can be completely prepared to do every good thing.(2 Timothy 3:16-17)
I must admit, I am really challenged these past few days and weeks. I hear so many different viewpoints concerning Christianity and the Word of God. While I expect this from secular news and the culture, I am still a bit upset and perplexed when I hear so many viewpoints from believers! My challenge does not come from hearing the various comments and reactions from random folks, but from the so-called biblical viewpoints! From all I have read and been taught, God has not changed and neither will His Word. He cannot lie and will not change His mind on what He requires from His people. Are we living for Him? Are we seeking His return as in the days of Malachi?
“I am the Lord. I do not change."(Malachi 3:6)
Paul warns us in Hebrews to keep the covenant of marriage pure. He reminds us to be content with what we have and to follow the Scriptural teachings of those of faith. We are to support our leaders (elders) and honor them, not make life miserable for them. God is to get the glory from our lives. It is not about us or what we have accomplished. Does that reflect our Body of believers today?
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.(Hebrews 13:8)
Tolerating sin is really disgusting. Being afraid to lose friends, associates, or supporters should not be the deciding factor in how we live! Yes, I understand that none of us is perfect but God and that we all sin and fall short of God's glory. But I hate my sin. I can't stand it when I let God down. I do it day after day, yet I refuse to excuse it and say "I'll do it anyway" and still claim that I love God!
By whose standards are we living?
To repeatedly lie and say it is acceptable for a Christian is just wrong. To be a thief and justify it by saying I was born a thief is crazy. What murderer can go free simply by saying "God knows me and loves me . . . it's ok"? If we are saved by the blood of Christ, there must be conviction that sin, all sin, is wrong in God's eyes and we need help in changing our minds concerning sin. The Holy Spirit is our guide and our conviction. He is our help and strength. We must agree with God that sin is not excused or tolerated but called sin! There are even times when we have to make the hard decisions to end relationships that continuously challenge our own relationship with God!(1 Corinthians 6:9-20) If Paul was correct when he was instructing a young pastor named Timothy to use Scripture to lead his people, then we too must use Scripture as it is; not watered-down or dummied-down! We are not here to please everyone, but to draw everyone to the loving arms of Jesus Christ. it is not God's will that anyone be lost, but sadly, some will be. Let's be sure of our beliefs and live by our Father's instructions! It will all be right one day!
Heaven and earth will pass away. But my words will never pass away.(Matthew 24:35)

No comments:

4-24-24 . . . .backward and forward . . . today is today no matter how we write it.

Today is 4-24-24. No matter if we write it forward or backward, it is still 4-24-24. This reminds me of my scripture today . . . Look at God...