Thursday, August 22, 2013

So Why Do We Do What We Do?

So eat and drink and do everything else for the glory of God. Don’t do anything that causes another person to trip and fall. It doesn’t matter if that person is a Jew or a Greek or a member of God’s church. Follow my example. I try to please everyone in every way. I’m not looking out for what is good for me. I’m looking out for the interests of others. I do it so that they might be saved.(1 Corinthians 10:31-33)
Paul is telling us that as Christians, we are not bound by laws and other restrictions. We are bound however, to love . . . love God and love people. Our motive is that in all we do, we do it to glorify God and to draw others to Him. I am often reminded of the many mission trips of which I have been blessed to be a participant. I have witnessed many different cultures and lifestyles unlike my own, At one time, I would have tried to correct someone for doing things wrong; the wrong songs or the wrong activities. Yet I have come to realize that I was one wrong in trying to change a person's culture. God is the one who has encouraged cultural differences. That is the beauty of the Christian Body! We are one Body with many various voices, talents, and faces. What counts is how we live for the One we worship more than how we worship.
As we learn to respect the various cultural differences between so many of us, we come to see the beauty of God and His creation.
I often use the example of a morning drink. I LOVE coffee. So does the Lord I have come to find out; Holy Grounds (Exodus 3:5)the book of HE-brews for example. However, while in the Caribbean Islands on a mission trip, I learned that one sweetens coffee with a thick creamy milk and brown sugar cane rather than our coffee creamer and sugar or sugar substitute. I loved the new taste! If I were travel to England, I assume I would be drinking Earl Grey tea over morning devotions rather than a strong cup of Folger's Black Silk. I went to a jazz club in New Orleans with a pastor there while on a mission assignment . . . not my normal venue to discuss spiritual matters, but great to grow as friends! You see, I want the other person to feel comfortable with me so when we do share the Gospel, we will have a basic trust among each other. While I never want to do something to cause one to sin, I also must be wary of doing things to hinder friendships and possible partnerships in Christ. Criticizing cultural practices can be deadly. What we don't know about others can hurt us. We need to study people and be open to how the Lord can develop friendships. We have so much freedom in Christ! However, it is freedom from sin, not freedom to sin! Be careful . . .
As some good friends have taught me: Love God with all you got, love people 'til you drop.

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...