Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Freedom with Restrictions? Sound Confusing? Graceful Discernment . . .

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God . . . even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.(1 Corinthians 10:31-33)
Christ frees one up in so many ways. It so liberating to belong to the Savior. However, so many feel as though their freedom has no restrictions . . . sound confusing? While the blood of Christ frees us from the penalties of sin, there are still some real and lingering consequences! The redeemed sinner is free to experience eternal life with the Lord, but still must pay logical consequences for the sin he or she commits. If I steal, I will have to face a judge and either pay it back or do some time. If I murder, I may be forgiven, yet I still may be sentenced to death, life in prison, or another amount of jail time. If I speed behind the wheel of an automobile, I deserve a ticket and perhaps a fine. The law on earth still has its rule over us.
Yet even the things we can legally do must be tempered with a graceful discernment as to not negatively influence others to fall into sin or away from Christ altogether.
Yes we may be free to have a glass of wine or beer, but we must be careful to respect others customs or beliefs. If a friend is an alcoholic, it would not be in the best interests of any of us to break open a six-pack for the game. If we are socializing with vegetarian friends, we may choose to order a salad or veggie plate to keep the evening going rather than a big, juicy steak. Coffee drinkers may decide to drink tea or some other beverage around those whose traditional morning drink may be tea. While we may enjoy a bit of jazz or R&B, it may be a bit offensive or tempting to immature or young believers, so we change the genre of music. Some of us may choose to never watch movies of R-ratings or below so as to set an example for those under-age or prone to wander.
Yes we have freedom in Jesus, but there are restrictions! We learn to adapt our preferences in order to win friends for the Lord and to not bring Him shame!

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...