Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Let's play "You make the choice!"

Let's play "You make the choice!" Nationals or Orioles? Ravens or Redskins? Redskins or Cowboys? Heat or Spurs? God or the Devil?
But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15)
Joshua has taken on the enormous task of leading the people of Israel into the Promised Land. He succeeded Moses and was now and old man. As Joshua is about to die, he gives a charge to the people of Israel. He sums up all God had done through him in this chapter (Joshua chapter 24). God is willing to do great things in your life and mine. He is waiting for us to commit however. Just like we have to make choices in so many things in life, we have to choose God and commit to His ways. There is no half-way! We can get really crazy when it comes to sports. I grew up an athlete and lived for sports! I am still a FAN-atic! Just ask my son and my wife . . or look in my basement!
We cannot be half for the Redskins and half for the Cowboys. A fan does not cheer for both teams when they compete. We must decide whom we will follow and support!
One does not vote for both candidates in an election!
A soldier cannot fight for both sides of the war . . . that would be ridiculous!
So they had to make a choice. Once they chose God, Joshua reminded them there was one more thing they had to do . . . throw away the other "stuff"!
“Now then,” said Joshua, “throw away the foreign gods that are among you and yield your hearts to the Lord, the God of Israel.”(Joshua 24:23)
Are you willing to not only choose God, but also do away with all the other distractions? We cannot have it both ways!
CHOOSE TODAY!!!!

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...