Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Concern for my Children

By that time Abraham was very old. The Lord had blessed him in every way. The best servant in his house was in charge of everything he had. Abraham said to him, “Put your hand under my thigh. The Lord is the God of heaven and the God of earth. I want you to make a promise with an oath in his name.“I’m living among the people of Canaan. But I want you to promise me that you won’t get a wife for my son from their daughters. Instead, promise me that you will go to my country and to my own relatives. Get a wife for my son Isaac from there.” (Genesis 24:1-4) Abaraham was up in years and had so much concern for not only his legacy, but the legacy of God for his children. The world was a very inviting place, but a treacherous place as well. It was full of lusts and temptations. There were competing cultures with values much different than the values God had instilled in Abraham. Abraham wanted the best for his children and grandchildren.
Sound familiar . . . .?
As parents, we are obligated to follow God's design for ourselves and our families. many times, we place our children on the right path yet they still choose to waiver. Even as we grieve their choices, we are still to be there to coach them back, encourage them to repent, and be willing to welcome them back as they are when they realize the error of their ways. Remember, we too make bad choices and even in our wisdom, do not always follow God! Recall the reaction of both the prodigal son and his father?
So he got up and went to his father.“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. (Luke 15:20)

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...