Monday, January 14, 2013

Acknowledging God's name through it all . . .

Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins. Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] make every effort to confirm your calling and election.(2 Peter 1:4-10)
The world is a rough place. God never promised to get us out of trouble, but if we honor Him, He promises to get us through them . . . even if we do get a little bruised and battered along the way. As I have time to ponder and plan this week away from home, I can rejoice in the struggles God has gone through with me! Some are the result of my sin. Other struggles have been God's way of pruning me. I have learned from both. I also think of my favorite football team and the way they handle adversity. Not many beyond the local Baltimore area are fond of the Ravens. They seem to face adversity weekly. This season has been a myriad of ups and downs. The player who holds my admiration and trust the most is Ray Lewis. His life is a shining example of how to continue to battle through ups and downs, peaks and valleys, black holes and moments of shining glory. Through it all, his faith in God has grown and He is sure to keep His faith public . . . not for show but for the glory of God! Recently he announced his retirement. Many have said it would be a short postseason, yet he and the Ravens are one game away from another Super Bowl. Will they win? . . . that is the will of God! Yet I must believe that Ray will continue to honor the Lord who has been with him a long time! This is a portion of the Psalm 91 t-shirt he has been wearing throughout the playoffs under his gear . . .
Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him;I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” (Psalm 91:14-16)

No comments:

Anxious? Fearful? Unsure? Seek His PEACE minute by minute.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the...