Saturday, August 4, 2012

those who serve to be seen and those who are always seen serving

Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them. “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others. “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
(Matthew 23:1-12) This period (August) is the twentieth anniversary of my new start in life. My daughter had asked Jesus into her life and she was baptized during a Vacation Bible School at a little Baptist church on a hill in Landover, MD. After witnessing her baptism and new membership into God's family, I was moved to find out the facts about this Jesus! I was raised in a traditional denominational church since my birth but was never really shown the Gospel in plain English. Oh, I read the Bible, I believed in God, but yet there was something missing. I still believed I was never good enough or could do enough to be a friend of Jesus. I could never get that close to Him! In high school, I did get some deeper facts concerning the message in the Gospels, yet I still had no personal contact with the God I knew existed. After a failed marriage of eight years, a beautiful baby girl whom I was now raising on my own, and a really hurtful relationship with a close friend, Jesus finally reached my heart. He did this through my daughter and the little church on the hill in 1993! After my daughter's salvation and baptism, I asked the minister to tell me what happened. He came to visit me and personally shared the Bible with me showing me in plain English that I was a sinner (Romans 3:23); that I needed a Savior (Romans 6:23); that it had to be personal (Romans 10:9-10); that God would hold me accountable (Romans 14:12) and that only if I chose to believe would I have that relationship I so desperately sought after (John 1:12). God's Word reassured me that my sin could be wiped away (1 John 1:12). Needles to say, I prayed for Christ to forgive me, yake over my life, and He began our journey to this day! Boy has life changed! He changed me from a nice guy (on the outside)who would do anything for anyone . . . as long as he got the recognition to a nice guy who simply wanted to help. Before, when I fell short, I would get angry . . . why him, why not me? Jesus took this same person and let me know that it was never about me . . . it is all about HIM and others. He gave me some special gifts to share His Word with everyone I come in contact with. He gave me a desire to learn of Him and share that knowledge with others. Hhe gave me a relationship with Him to trust in what He allowed for me. He gave to me a faith to walk away from a secular job and trust Him to provide as I work for Him. He even allowed me a second chance in marriage . . . as long as we lived the marriage out for His glory. So twenty years later I have been blessed with a personal relationship with a loving and faithful God and Savior. I have the most beautiful, awesome, dedicated bride of fifteen years. I have four wonderful children and five fabulous grandchildren. I have a church home that has taught me, disciplined me, encouraged me, and supported us throughout.God has allowed us to serve more than 2,200 people through our outreach ministry (www.tsnministries.org) and raise at least twenty-eight children within the walls of our home from time to time. In fact, one is with us now! In fifteen years of full-time ministry, we have never charged for our services and yet God (and through his people)has provided. Why do I say all this? I am still both awed and upset at the level of service within our churches! I see two dynamics at work: those who serve to be seen and those who are always seen serving. It has been said that 20% of the people do 80% of the work. I would also offer this observation: many who are serving only serve when they can be seen doing so! I see folks seeking titles and positions rather than seeking opportunities to serve. I see folks elevated for what they do, yet when a chair needs to be folded up, a table needs to be cleaned, a floor needs to be mopped, or a toilet needs to be cleaned . . . well . . . I have come to learn that the most effective ministry takes place in the shadows, not in the spotlight. Many times the hardest workers are never recognized . . . no one really knows the amount of sacrifice, hardship, and struggles these folks go through. Pastors who stay up late, get up early, and give of their own money. . . . retired gentlemen who are at the church before anyone arrives and after everyone leaves . . . moms who stay late to care for toddlers left beyond the pick-up times . . . those who sacrificially support mission work locally and around the world with financial support, personal gifts, meals and more . . . the list goes on and on. I want to say "Thank you" to those who give to the Lord so He can continue to give to the labor of the Gospel! Your labor is not in vain. Great is your reward!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...